Youth Religious Education is offered in the Annex (the house next door to the Sanctuary) on the first three Sundays of each month during services. We meet from the first Sunday in September through the First Sunday in June. On other Sundays, youth are invited to experience “grown-up” worship services or spend time in the Wiggle Room, playing games and hanging out. Everyone is welcome at Youth RE, but the activities are targeted to ages 6-17. Parents are welcome to stay with their children as much as they think is needed. Parents are also welcome to volunteer to help out (we have a lot of fun, so we understand wanting to hang with the Youth). Explorers are welcome to join us directly in the Annex in the RE Studio upstairs, or they will be “gathered” from the Wiggle Room or the worship service.
In 2018-2019, our theme will be “Stories and Wisdom from the World’s Religions.” We will explore 1-2 stories per week and 1-2 religions per month. We have a lot of fun activities planned to help the explorers connect to the material. We will meditate, balance, play, write and more. We will also be continuing, due to popular demand from the youth, some of our Dumbledore’s Army activities, looking for opportunities to help out and make the world a better place. If you miss the first month (or 2, or 7) please feel free to join in anytime.
Some of our recent themes include:
- 2017-2018 – How to save the World (Dumbledore’s Army)
- 2016-2017 – What can we Learn about living a better life through board games?
- 2015-2016 – Spirit of Adventure (learning from daring UUs of history)
- 2014-2015 – Building Bridges to World Religions (historic survey of beliefs and practices)
- 2013-2014 – Toolbox of Faith (what do we gain from UUism that helps us in life?)